1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Bambi On Diet & Health

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Vidya24, Apr 28, 2006.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hibiscus

Hi vatsi,

I have been using hibiscus every night for an year now for my face. The results are truly good.
    1. Boil 1 hibiscus, fresh or dry, in water for 5 minutes, covered. Remove it from water.
    2. Mash it well and mix it with a spoon of sandal paste. when i went to india i got a small sandal wood piece to extract the paste. U can use pure sandal powder also.
    3. If you do not have access to sandalwood, u can use just the hibiscus. It removes the scars from ur skin and makes ur skin very smooth and soft. This is my personal experience.
    4. Apply it everynight just before going to bed and wash off in the morning.

2. bambi

bambi New IL'ite

Hair care , Weight management - I , Banana Stem Juice

My name bambi - not sure in which language or story , but MOM used to say it means deer’s eyes . In my childhood I used have big big ( gundu gundu ) eyes. Okay , sunkan has posted a big page of hair care write up . Check that out, it is from my mom.

Some short responses on the queries addressed to me !

--> We can use hibiscus flowers for hair care, just soak it in water for sometime and just apply.

--> Well, preparing green pastes as suggested earlier, there is no specific quantity required as such. Based on the availability of the ingredients pl collect, clean and prepare them.

-->Premature graying can be due to hereditary problem. It is very tough to handle that , however let us not lose hope , the more you live on greens , especially when you start chewing Curry leaves and common cooking greens every morning before coffee or Breakfast.

--> To bring the body heat to normality , wet a Turkey towel or cotton towel and wrap it around the abdomen part. You can also take Spinal bathe , fill the bath tub with cold water , lie down with your body immersed. We , at home have something made to order types, which we use regularly to treat BIS , Body heat balance , Relaxation ,etc. The results of this is wonderful and numerous , write to me if you want to know more about the functioning of it.

--> 2 Teaspoons of honey or a glass of butter milk mixed with Curry leaves & Methi ( juiced ) can help in handling BIS - Bowel Irritation Syndrome ( will write more on this again ).

Let us start this day with Weight loss program

Causes of Obesity, excess fat collection, keeping up body shape, etc .,

First of all , we should be consistent in our efforts – this is one of the principles of Nature Cure and don’t expect results overnight.

When I was selling herbal juices in hometown during my college days, I have had several middle aged & senior citizens who had different diet practices, who had drinking habits ,coffee addicts , snack masters etc. Dealing with diff people with diff diet practices was a challenge , but it was interesting. I used to give them a glass of Vegetable juice – Banana Stem + White Ash pumpkin + Carrot etc ., this particular formula was a big hit. Fetched wonderful results . Let me explain how it works and why it is needed.

Taking a glass of this in an empty stomach for 2-3 months in the morning or even regularly can take out the excess fat & toxic matters blocking your blood vessels from functioning smoothly (cholesterol, Caffeine, Nicotine, Unsaturated fat, etc ). Banana Stem is the best detoxifier we get in the market.

A glass of this with some light exercises can help the juice work in our body well.

The toxic matters are taken out through urine. Now for some case studies

(i) An old man of age 67 who had kidney stones & urinary track blockade, severe pain in the abdomen due to the blockade had come for advice. He was scheduled for a surgical operation in a month’s time for the same. However, he started taking this juice everyday, and after a month when he visited his doctor, he was informed that the kidney stones have already dissolved. He not only saved some real good money, but also the risk of getting the stones back even after the surgery as there is no assurance that he d not get the ailment back through surgery. Banana stem juice has permanently relieved him from the long lasted pain. In this way, we have attacked the roots of the cause and ensured a permanent relief. If this simple glass of juice can dissolve kidney stone, it can do wonders with tumor, cholesterol, excess fat, etc.

(ii) The same juice I was supplying to a Club of Badminton players. They were all heavy drinkers , obese , and had BP complaints & Diabetes inspite of their everyday play. That was a challenge ! This juice made them reduce half their size in a matter of 3 months, and after I had adviced them on their food habits & drinking habits , they further reduced their weight to normal size.

So some healthy stuff in the early morning diet calendar with some exercises can help manage your weight efficiently. Will write more on this topic in the next note as this itself has become pretty big.

Regards,
    Bambi

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

great, again

Dear Bambi,

Thanks again for another scholarly and useful write up.Thanks for addressing my question on body heat. I would like to know more abt this, please.

Abt the juice banan stem+ ash gourd + carrot, except carrot I do not have access to the other two. I get salad cucumber, zucchini. Can these be substituted?

Where is Sundari's article on hair care?

I also like Bambi the deer.

Thanks again.

warm regards
    VR

4. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks

Dear Bambi,

Thanks for ur detailed response. Many points u have detailed will surely help us in many ways. I will get my hubby on chewing curry leaves rigth away!! :) Thanks again for an adept explanation.

Your name reminds me of the cute little deer called bambi, whom my kid dotes on.

5. sandy38

sandy38 New IL'ite

Hello Bambi!

Nice to know that u are the second male member of Indus Lady.
    I am also from Bangalore. Your suggestions for hair loss and weight loss was really interesting and useful. Since I am suffering from both these problems I was glad to read what you had to say.

I would also be greatful if you could answer a few questions .

1. How often can we wash our hair?

2. Should we oil our hair overnight or just two hours before having a wash?

3. My hair becomes very oily every second day and it becomes inevitable for me to wash it everyday. Is that ok?

4. I walk 3kms everyday and at the end of the walk I sweat a lot.
    Is parnayam really useful in the circulation of blood?

Thanks for taking time to read this. Please answer this whenever possible.

Regards

Sandhya

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Bambi,
    It is really a welcome thread, this one on natural foods and cures. I am a nature freak. I need some advice from you, for myself and for my son.
    First for myself- I am 42 year old and am obese. I have a problem of heavy snoring and due to this oxygen deficiency. I get headaches due to this. I have been adviced to reduce weight by 15 kg atleast. My friend told me to drink ashgourd juice in the morning on empty stomach and also only red rice ( very little) with thin buttermilk and also lots of veg and fruit salad every day for a week. Then slightly relax the diet for a few days and then again the same diet.
    I find it is very difficult for me to keep on a particular diet due to various problems. What I need to know is, how can I plan a diet for myself sothat I shall stick to it? And please give details of how to prepare the 3 juice which you have mentioned. I have started doing some yoga exercise and breathing exercise,
    For my son- he was a preterm baby and had many complications. He is an epilaptic and is under treatment. He has less secretion of thyroid and is taking medicine for that also. Now the blood tests show that his PP sugar is 145 and cholestraol is 6.3. The dr says that good cholestraol is less and bad is on the higher side. Sugar also is slightly up. He is slightly over weight also. He is 14 years old.I think that he needs to eat well also as he is growingup. He does not take junk food or sweets, chocolates, ice creams etc. He lacks exercise, he has to spend a lot of time on his studies so that he can get average marks.
    Now he is in the 10th std and I want him to work hard and also to take care of his health.I heard that NEERMARUTHIN PATTA (the bark of neermaruthu) is good for controlling cholestraol and can be taken along with other medicines. 25gms in 6 glasses of water, boiled well. I am planning to try that also. I need advice on this also. Can you please help me? I am desperate for both of us as there is practical difficulties in exercising for long time now. Kindly help.
    Thank you,
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Bambi

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions. We are lucky that you joined IL and thanks to our Sundari too.

I will be grateful if u can answer this point for me. I had asked abt body heat and u have suggested soaking in a tub or wrapping a cold towel.

1) Is this a temporary cure? My problem is that my body is really hot at all time.

2) Can I do right nostril pranayamam to lose weight? Will this increase body heat?

Sorry for being so pushy. Will be grateful for your remedies.

thanks BAmbi
    warm regards
    Vidya

8. bambi

bambi New IL'ite

Spinal bathe , wet pack & Weight loss

I am taking a lot of time than allowed to respond to queries .... ha ha ha , I don't get considerable time during weekdays and most weekends I travel, so things get delayed. I am sorry for that . Well , it is more like conditioning your body to the normal heat , a lot of cooling items are to be included in your food. No junk foods are to be entertained at all , coz' I know you get a lot of it in Holland ( just kidding ) . Say No No to spice , Drink a lot of water. And everytime you drink water just tell your mind that it purifies your body,cools of your mind ( I do it every time I take a cup of water - It really works ).
    These days I have started to skip lunch and take just water.
    Whenever you are at home relaxed take a wet pack around your abdomen.
    Once or twice in a week check out the Spinal Bath. I ll attach some snaps of the Spinal Bathe tub we have at home. When you come to India , maybe order one and take it with you. It may cost you a bit on shipment but I m sure it is an investment. It is a natural way of blood circulation in your spine part which plays an important role in lot of blood related diseases like Diabetes , BP, etc.
    Now tell me , from how long do you have this heat problem ? ,

Loosing weight through right nostril pranayama could give you slow results , however it is better to know the counts on inhalation and exhalation which could have an effect on your blood circulation and body heat. I don't practice this much but only when I am about to meditate. Try out light diet , and look at the mirror and ask " Am I healthy ? Am I trim ? " , then do some light exercises for your abdomen portion. You can also try PakshiMugaasanam - not sure If I have spelt it right. It is catching hold of your feet , with your nose touching your knee. Which is the best one to keep up good figure.

I too have the problem of gaining a lot of weight If I don't workout for a month, but I am very tough with my body. I skip meals often , take juices , salads , exercise like anything ( my dear members - don't try this without proper guidance, coz my body is immuned to FASTING CURE , it is a Nature Cure technique altogether. If you get into crash diet suddenly , you might faint. )

Meet you in the next mail with the snaps of Spinal bathe tub.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  9. bambi

bambi New IL'ite

Hair care / Yoga / Suryanamaskar

Dear Sandy,

Hair care is basically your convenience based on the availability of time you have at home , I suggest you can oil every 3rd or 4th day ( don't miss the weekends ) , It is okay to apply oil just before bathe or before sleep. Try the green pastes I suggested in my previous mails.

Washing everyday is not suggested for women , coz' the drying time it takes a bit longer than guys need. Never apply oil on wet hair , this may increase the sweating tendency in your head.
    Check out the right quantity you might need to keep your hair just light , than too oily.

Avoid usage of Shampoos ,and use homemade pastes & Soapnut , gramflour items.

Well, on weight loss , add some simple exercises along with your walking. Take some good tips from a Yogic teacher . It can do wonders. My dad who is 57 now , used to run for 10-15 Kms till he was 54 , then he switched on to Yoga which is giving him real good benefits more than his 45 yrs of running , jogging & like.

Sweating during walking is not bad, so not necessary to relate this with excess sweating problem. However , Pranayama is good for regulating blood circulation.

If you don't have much time for Yoga , try out SURYANAMASKAR which is the best remedy for almost all ailments the human kind has.

Note: Some light activity everyday is good to keep our body & energy levels. What is best is left to you to choose.

Did I answer all your queries here ? or should I be giving more details !

Regards,
    bambi

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

I am desperate

Dear Bambi,
    Pl read my query and give me some advice. My son is now entering the 10th std and as he already has many health problems, I am worried about his one also. I know you are very busy, but please consider my problem also. Hope I am not taking too much advantage.
    Thank you,
    with warm wishes,
    varloo