1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 Wife - Things to do?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by shakila, Jun 8, 2005.

1. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

oh good to know you r in San Jose!!would defenitely like to keep in touch with you.where are you from in India?

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Mumbai, my birthplace...I miss you so much:(

Hi Vidhukumar,

I am a tamilian born and brought up in Mumbai. This place definitely makes me feel more at home than any other state -with Indians galore, yet I do miss Mumbai, friends and most importantly my mom:(

Sunnyvale is a desi-hub, and so is Fremont!! We happened to go to the Hindu Community and Temple at Sunnyvale during Diwali. Man, I probably haven't seen so many Indians gathered even in India!

Best-
    Shal

3. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey,
    am also a tamilian brought up in kerala.I did my textile&Apperal design from S.N.D.T juhu mumbai.i too luv mumbai!yeah ....all of us here miss our home,friends&MOM..........have u been to shiva vishnu temple in livermoore?its beautiful!!(&looks like a real temple too!)u r right people here take more care to keep their traditons alive since we are far away from our motherland.....
    vidhya.

4. Chitra Mahesh

Chitra Mahesh New IL'ite

Hi to everyone

Hi everyone....

well glad n sad to know that there r so many ppl like me on H4, of which some have managed to break through the 4 walls of boredome and some are still trying ....

Its been close to a month since i came to SUnnyvale....My 1st trip to the US....well...really love the place , to say the least....

but, time n again keep worrying abt the fact that m on H4 n that it might take me some time to find a job....Am a Chartered accountant and hv a Masters in commerce degree from India...hv almost 4 years of banking expereince....if anyone knows of job opportunities or sponsors , do let me know...

Also....anyone in an around the Sunnyvale area...yet to meet Indians in my complex...and hv no inclination to go to the Gym...so thought this would be the best way to meet ppl n make friends :)...as of now spend time cooking, browsing and studying for my CPA exams....

cheers

5. pooja

pooja New IL'ite

Teach Indian Cooking

One of my friend in New York is taking Indian cooking classes to American Ladies. Many American ladies have a curious interest to learn Indian cuisine. You can hire a community place (even a Indian temple hall) for less money and start taking Indian cooking classes. Even if you charge $75 per participant and get 20 participants, that is a good amount of money.

My friend said that when there is demand for cake decorating class, I thought there should be some demand for Indian cooking class!

Pooja

6. rosy

rosy New IL'ite

Hai every one ,
    Iam rosy, staying in Thailand. Five yesrs back igot married. Now Iam an housewife and have 5year old son. He s started to going school. now I have lots of free time. I wanted to use my free time. I can't wok outside because i am living in a village. Only facility i have full time internet facility in the home.Please suggest me any job. I have done bachelors degree.
    rosy

7. ankita_chitnis

ankita_chitnis Bronze IL'ite

How about Gardening?

In India we are brought up to do well in studies and many of us never spent a whole lot of time doing a variety of other things. Maybe, this is a great time to start something totally new that you are passionate about. For example, have you ever thought about gardening?

You might wonder, how can gardening keep you busy for a majority of your time. Think about the following..

First, think about the physical activity that gardening entails. Planting them, watering them and grafting them keeps you physically fit. If you have enough plants in your garden, that will be only exercise you might need.

Second, it keeps you mentally stimulated. You are constantly reading and discussing about how to take care of the plants that you have already planted. You then would get into a whole new exploration about what are the other plants that you put in your garden that has the higher chance of surviving, given climate and soil conditions.

Third, over time you can start selling customized plants to neighbours and others. Most folks here are fed-up with the small plants that they see in Wal-Mart and Home Depot, which invariably dies. What if you can sell plants that somehow has higher survival rates?

If you are passionate enough, you can build any activity to be physical, mentally and emotionally satisfying. Just a thought!

Ankita

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear ankita u remind me of my grandmother....

dear ankita,
    my grandmother was a very grt gardner in her own right...she traveled to housten to my aunts place in her nine yards....and she was a very forethought kind who would not shave her head as she liked it that way....and when she went she had to hide some white pumpkin seeds as my aunt said nothing available like snakegourd and drumstick and all....now all she did was plant the seed and took care of it while she was there...and the pumpkins turned out so big ....like her usual self she gave all a piece free as our south indian community is starved for this and sometime mothers do this to help their children's pride....even after she returned one day my uncle was cleaning autumn leaves surprise to find one large one in the pit.....they had a grt go at it....yes gardening is a beautiful experience...and if nurserys are allowed very good...i think our ladies should cash in in whatever field they r good at....regards sunkan...

9. uma

uma Senior IL'ite

Learn a fine art

In India, many families (atleast mine) didn't put a whole lot of focus into making us learn a fine art. The focus was all about studying. After coming to the US, I have learnt that having proficiency in a fine art will make anyone a well rounded person. Currently, I am living in a world where all I do is work, take care of kids and sleep.

If you are a H4 without kids, the time you have in your hand can be a golden opportunity to start learning a fine art and get passionate about it. There are innumerable fine arts that you can choose from. Select that one that you think you can put your heart and soul into it and spend the time to learn it really really well. As you grow older, you will find that this fine art will be emotionally soothing as well.

This is a great time to learn something for a lifetime...don't waste it!

Uma

AnooSA likes this.
  10. sonal

sonal Junior IL'ite

Process H1B!

Looks pretty obvious, but not sure how many people are thinking about it. As of April 30th, the government started receiving applications for H1Bs for the following immigration year (that begins October 30th).

When thinking of H1B, we get into the chicken and egg situation. No company is willing to sponsor a H1B for an employee who starts many months into the future. Not many companies can anticipate their openings that early. Almost all companies will ask us to come after October 1st. That way they can give us a job, file for an expedited H1B and have us on the job soon. But then, when we go on October 1st, the H1B quota is already over.

The best way to over come this is to use some intermediate Indian company to file H1B. Indian body shopping companies will file a H1B if we give them an assurance that we will work through their firm for 1 year. Some companies will file H1B if we agree to give a certain percentage of our salary for a year or so. Some companies will file a H1B for a certain fixed $$ payment.

None of the options are easy. But, they are some of the things that we are thinking through. I will keep you posted on what we end up doing.

Sonal

1 person likes this.