1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Whats for dinner today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

It's a shame if I said what I prepare for dinner everyday!!!

Well, me and hub like heavy lunch(not a super-duper lunch...just regular roti-sabzi, but in bigger portions) and thus love simple dinners.

Now that I'm working, we know what we're gonna cook for the entire month charted out!! I know it sounds crazy, but it helps me a lot with the cooking, planning and grocery shopping!!

So today, as per the food-table, it's rava dosa and chitvish special bombay chutney for dinner. For lunch, it was tondli (tindora/kovakkai) sabzi and masoor dal, pickle with chappati.

2. mommyto2monkeys

mommyto2monkeys New IL'ite

Hi Kamala
    Was going through your recipe for the fried noodles i have a question what are SAMBAL OELEK and EDAMAMI.Based on your recipes ( the jeelakarra vankaya one) i am guessing that you are telugu i did not understand those two ingredients though

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Back here after a long time. Tonight diner is Lauki kofta with phulkas. Thayir sadam.
    Lunch was yesterday's left overs: vendakai sambhar and avrakkai curry.

Vandhana

4. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Thanx
    Dear kamla & rama for liking the recipie .
    jaishree

5. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayshree,
    I just happened to see your corn masala recipe yesterday and prepared the same as evening snack/dinner starter. But I have done a little variation, like I had frozen baby corn, so used that and in stead of boiling it, just cut that into small piecec and microwaved for 5-6 minutes.
    It was really very tasty and I think to prepare it more often........also, its not time consuming............
    Thanks a lot........and if you have these kind of recipes which are easy to make and also not time consuming, please do share.
    Regards.

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Thanks Kamla for the Jilakara Vankaya recipe.

Today we had Brocolli paruppu ussili with rotis. It will be Idli and chutney for dinner. Simple fare!

7. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

Today's lunch was Black-eyed-peas Masala curr with Roti.And breaking my head as to what to prepare?Just not striking.I think i will do Egg-Masala curry with rice or Egg-biryani and raitha.Choice is my hubby's.

Vaishu

8. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Today is weekend holiday so special lunch was Chicken Biryani, with Tomato rasam, Pappads and Raitha ! Night will be onion oothappam with pudina chutney.

9. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

Thanx for the recipes.Can u please tell me the meaning of the ingredients
    "sambal oelek,Edamami " which u used in ur fried noodles recipe.M husband and my son are fond of noodles.I want to try this,since mota waala Rice noodles are lying in my pantry.And also can i ask u for one recipe,that is "Poornam Boorelu" recipe ?.I do it,but all the time when i do,they either come hard,or shapeless or break.Once in a while they come good.Just want to find out the appropriate recipe for that.

-Vaishu

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Vaishnavi;

Looks like Kamla is busy so I am answering for her. Edmame is green soyabeans. You can find it fresh packed in organic food stores or you can find it in the frozen section of your grocer. They look like Lima beans but are little more rounder and oval in shape.

Sambal oelek : is nothing but red chillies that have been soaked and ground to paste. Sometimes, they add garlic and vinegar, but mostly it is just the chillies.

Hope this helps.

Just finished lunch of Vendakai morkuzhambu, vazhaipoo paruppuusili and tomato rasam.
    Probably make some pasta or stir fried noodles for dinner.

Vandhana