How to improve english

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anulekha, Oct 2, 2010.

1. anulekha

anulekha New IL'ite

Hi friends

My english is little bad. I am trying to improve my English. How to do that? Generally i try in different ways. Reading the paper . sometimes watching TV. . Reading Forums at indusladies :). But still i have feeling like i am not at good at English. How to overcome it?

2. kutyma

kutyma Senior IL'ite

Hai,
    I am also trying to improve my English.I want to chat in English With someone who can correct my mistakes.But no body here to help me out.If u get any idea pls share with me.Thanking u:cheers

3. Philosopher

Philosopher New IL'ite

the way you both wrote the post, I think you are not that bad at english.

also, spoken english is very easy. you just need to pick up some stuff. practice is the key.

4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hi..philosopher is right....the way u both wrote was good. Just start speaking in english to ur neighbours....conversation is the best tool to improve your english:thumbsup

5. kutyma

kutyma Senior IL'ite

Hi Phillospher,Mehana,
    Thx for ur boosting words.As i am trying to improve my language.My problem is no one in my neighborhood:cheers to speak with me in English.so only i have decided to search a friend here to chat.

6. sowjanya96

sowjanya96 New IL'ite

As many told,practice is the main key to improve our english.

Daily write at least one page on any topic in english.
    Topics can be like your personal diary or anything which is happening around the world.U can pick up anything and write about it.
    Try to use some new words every time you write to improve your vocabulary so that you will be confident in using them next time.

7. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

Some suggestions to improve your English -

- Read a wide variety of books or articles. Don't restrict to just fiction or a particular genre.
    - Whenever you come across a particular word you are not familiar with, take a dictionary and check the meaning of the word.
    - After you read something try to write a summary in your own words.
    - Read Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. The book gives a lot of information about the roots of words. This will help you understand the language much more.

Hope these pointers help you out.

8. Adams

Adams New IL'ite

If your english is poor you regularly read english news paper and listen to english news and you try to speak with your friends in english and if you go mistake they will recorrect it in this way you can improve your english.

9. gopinath

gopinath Silver IL'ite

kutyma,

improving your english is very easy

watch english movies
    Try to talk in english with your friends, do sms frequently to your friends in english

fix a target that u should learn 2 new words/sentences daily and practice it.

dont force your mind u will depressed soon, learn gradually

Cheers
    Gopinath

10. chitraveerabagu

chitraveerabagu New IL'ite

Hi dears,
    One of my collegue felt the same way that he has to improve his English to impress the interviewers as he was desparately trying out for a job in other companies. We didn't meet for 2 months then on. Sometime later he came and said that he has got a job in microsoft. First we didn't believe. Though he was technically intelligent, his slang would never get him to microsoft. He said like he joined some communication course and it was obvious in the way he spoke to us. After an hour of boasting, he revealed that he was kidding. We went wild but couldn't come to a conclusion whether he lied or not. You might have by now thought that I would suggest you to take up a course like him. Definetly not!. Wonder why? Because just like how he pranked about his job in microsoft, taking up a course on spoken English was also a play. He revealed that atleast for an hour everyday he would read aloud (not just reading but READING ALOUD) the newspaper. He suggested the literary review column in THE HINDU (guess it comes once in a week). He did this to improve his communication skills. And to improve his presentation skills he memorised a para and read aloud in front of a mirror. This happened 5 years ago. Now my collegue doesn't have a problem in English at all. I shared this happening with my hubby and he gave a try too. You wouldn't believe now my hubby speaks better English then he did an year ago...
    Dears.. try this... it is working... just half an hour reading aloud an English newspaper or any English book....(Don't mind people around if they question or tease you). Initially to start with you can take up a Kid's story book. The English in it will be simple and good. You will find astounding results. Try it and share your results with our ILites.