Confused with name

Discussion in 'Indians in Malaysia' started by navan, Aug 22, 2010.

1. navan

navan New IL'ite

Hi,

Just wana know is Tanaraj an Indian name or Ceylonese name or Malayalee name???

And wat about Thanabalan?

Thanks in advance...

:bonk

2. Smitavivek

Smitavivek New IL'ite

both are malay names, as confirmed by my malay friend, however she doesnt know the meaning.:crazy

3. LuckiestLadkhi

LuckiestLadkhi Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Navan... Tanaraj is an Indian name but i cant be sure whether wat religion he is.. He can be a hindu or a christian.

For Thanabalan is a purely a Indian name but i cant sure about whether he is a ceylonese or malayalee... as in Malaysia sometimes they dont add nair or naidu or rao to their name.

I'm answering you this qustion coz I'm a malaysian and well verse in Malay. So I'm sure this is not a malay name. tq

Smitavivek...

when u write down.. what u mean by malay.. is it malayalee or malay (ethnic). it's because it malaysia.. there a alot of malay people.

Luv,
    Suzanne

4. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

hi there,
    if it is of any help and as far as i know,

tanaraj as spelt so in ceylon really is dhanaraj which means dhana(wealth) + raj(king).
    it's a name which has it's meaning in both sanskrit, tamil, hindi and various other indian languages.
    Since ceylon was closely connected with india through tamilnadu and we can easily say ceylon tamil is still one of the undistorted version of spoken tamil. you can find some really beautiful tamil names in ceylon than in tamilnadu.no offense, iam a tamilian and so are they. those names can be found in ceylon too.
    Malayalam has it's language root like any other indian language from tamil and sanskrit.(remember cheras were one of the mummudi kings of tamilagam now tamilnadu).

But seriuosly, i don't know much about malay . as far as my reasearch led me i find that oldest malay scriptures are of grantham scripts which is of indian hindu origin(pallave to be exact around 7th c AD). so needlessly mixing up of some sanskrit and tamil words in malay is not unimaginable.

so tanaraj and dhanapalan (dhana(wealth) + balan(kid)) both names are prevalent in tamil, malayalam, and few indian languages could easily be used in malay.

but onething all old languages in this world especially asian ones have similarities so deeper than we will be able to believe.

yes even the classic tamil and chinese has many words as same..

hope it helped:thumbsup

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  5. mulani

mulani New IL'ite

both names are very nice,...