1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Bambi On Diet & Health

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Vidya24, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Bambi

Thank you for offering your expertise to us, so willingly. I will be grateful if you can suggest remedies for my two problems:

1) I lose a lot of hair though I use gentle shampoos and home made herbal oil.

2) Am vegetarian, light eater, do some exercise or other- still keep on adding weight.

Can you help out here?

Thanks in advance
    Vidya

2. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Bambi,

For Dandruff I Tried many methods but it is still there. Could U pl tell me some natural ways to get rid of this and also tell some ways to prevent hair fall.

With love
    Lakshmi

3. bambi

bambi New IL'ite

Hair fall & problems

Dear Laxmi & Vidya,

I had responded in detail y'day ,however due to some Internet error the page got terminated. Hence the delay in response.

Before I could suggest anything for your ailments , I insist on understanding the reasons / causes for the same. Only then is there a way to address any problem.

The reasons for your hairfall / Dandruff / any hair problem for that case , could be
    (i) Excess Sweat in the head part (ii) High salt content in the sweat / blood (iii) Dust collection due to oily hair (iv) Body heat (v) Hereditory (vi) Tensions in your mind

Now let us attack the causes one by one

--> Excess sweat flow can be due to working conditions / climatic conditions , or speedy blood flow in your body more than needed. To regulate this , you can do Yoga or Pranayama that regulates blood flow in your body. This may sound indirect or no way connected to hair loss - but a regulated blood flow is important for any function / growth of any element in our body.

--> To reduce the salt content , take watery vegetables and melons regularly as part of your everyday meal. You can think of taking only fruits or only vegetables in the form of salads during lunch , this can help you in lot of things. Keeping your body light, helping your digestive system with lesser work load , you ll not feel drowsy during the day , the benefits are countless.
    Note : My everyday lunch is just a bowl of fresh cut fruits .

--> Our hair can act as a dust collector many a times , when we travel outdoor. So , cover your hair with a cotton scarf , do not use synthetic scarfes as it may increase the sweat ratio. Shampoo your hair with natural items like Shoeflower paste , or green paste made of hibiscus leaves , curry leaves , Amla powder etc.

--> To get rid of Dandruff , fine grind a handful of Methi , with 20 peppercorns ( white or black ) , mix it up with Curd , and refrigerate it in the night. Apply it on your hair - touching the roots. This can act as a conditioner and dandruff killer as well.

--> Hereditory hair problems are tough to address, however constant trials can help reduce the chances of excess hair fall. How ? Reduction in intake of cooked food with salt , sugar , spice , and addition of fresh vegetables , fruits in your Diet calendar can help.

--> Tensions ! Recent studies show that ppl who worry a lot or high tempered face hair loss problem. It goes to the above stated points, high temperment leads to speedy flow of blood rate than needed and sweat glands reacting to the same. So keep yourself Cooooooolllllll !

Ok now ! we are done with looking at the causes and ways of attacking them.

Now we ll look at small tips to condition your hair and help them grow faster , thicker and stronger

> Heat 2 - 3 teaspoons of Olive oil , massage your head regularly

> Chew a handful of Curry leaves in the morning in an empty stomach, this can help your body with good amount of Iron & Proteins required for hair growth. This also helps your Bowels clean with no constipation , and increase in sharpness of eyevision.

> Wash your hair with natural green pastes ( prepare yourself ) with Curry leaves , Amla , Hibiscus flower & leaves , Aloe Vera , Methi etc.

> Gingely oil massage & bathing every weekend

> More greens in your meal

> Artificial Shampoos promise tall claims , but pl bear in mind that nothing can near natural shampoos.

> NeeliBringadhi oil available in the shops are supposed to be rich in herbs. You can buy from the stores and mix it up with coconut oil and use it for regular massages & application on your hair.

The more we live close to nature , the faster the results , but do not expect results overnight. Nature takes its own course of time to work on your body. However , there are no side effects as you know.

Like other ways of medicine , I cannot suggest drugs for each ailment which can just result in temporary relief or suppressing the same. I look at overall improvement of the body and attacking the rootcause of any ailment that we have.

Unless our food habits are healthy & regulated , we shall not be able to reap benefits of any efforts we make. Hence , know your food.

Hope this should help you in knowing the causes & ways to tackle your hairfall problem.

Weight loss - I shall write about it in my next note.

Regards,
    Bambi

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

cool

Hi Bambi,

Thanks for the detailed reply, must say it was one cool reply. I am impressed to see substance and style in your words. Shall implement these tips for my hair and pray that they work.

Really looking forward to your tips on weight reduction.

I have a third question too- please take your time to answer. No hurry. At any given point in time, my body is rather hot (not warm). People shaking my hand or touching me for the first time intinctively ask if I am running a fever. I do not have any physical or mental problems related with this. But is something wrong? I used to do right nostril pranayamam for weight loss, but stopped since it stimualtes body heat. Would like to hear your views on this.

Please take your time. And thanks for the scholarly replies.

regards
    Vidya
    PS: Varalotti will finally have some male company in IL now that you are also a valued member.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  5. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

"Namaskara" from one Banglorean to another

Dear Bambi,

Welcome to this intimately bonded forum. I am from bangalore too, currently in Malaysia. Chennaagiddeera?

Your tips on hair fall seem to be cool. I have thick, long hair. LIke you have mentioned when i worry a lot or at times of distress, i have rapid hairfall which makes me worry further more.. i am going through one of such phases now. I use canthrdine hair oil. Few things i want to know are:
    1. How often should we oil our hair?
    2. Is it true that hair fall is more if we let our hair open without tying or plaiting?
    3. I have some dried hibiscus, which i had stored for my facials. Is there any way to use it for my hair? I have heard that hibiscus is good in haircare.
    4. Last but not the least..my hubby's hair is growing grey rapidly. He is 32. Any remedies to retard this greying?
    Please take your time.

6. Jana

Jana Senior IL'ite

Dear Sri Bambi,

Thank you for giving us your advises. Can you help me also? I have weight problem and it is very sad. Also, my husband has IBS which is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Can you suggest some remedies. What is the meaning of your name Bambi? Is it pet name?

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

green paste query

Hello Bambi,

I did go thru your reply related to hair problems & found it very practical.
    I do have a query here..
    the different leaves & amls that you've suggested for making green paste - do we use all of them and make a paste OR use whichever is available ..
    even better could you pls tell me how to make one with the ingredients & their qty.

thanks in advance.

8. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

nature cure

nature cure is really a wonderful method.
    i have two experiences in my life. i would like to share this for people who do not know.
    my sister in law conceived after doing this treatment. separate food prepared for both hus and wife all the time. especially in curries. since brother is a vegetarian he didn't feel any difficulty in it.
    the next is one of our relative who had a tumour in liver , and found at last stage. he was returned from the hospital saying he will not live more than six months. his family took him to the nature cure centre, though they had no hope. he died after five years..everything is god's decision any way we can try our best for good..

9. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Dear Bambi,

Thank U very much for explaining each and everything in detail.

Regards
    Lakshmi

10. vatsi

vatsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Prathi

Hi Prathi,

As u told that u have some dried hibiscus flowers for facial, I just want to know how to use these flowers for facial.
    THANKS

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006