Why Delhites FORGET after every rain?

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by TanviSpeaking, Jul 28, 2009.

1. TanviSpeaking

TanviSpeaking New IL'ite

As I sat glued to my television this evening and there was a continuous coverage "DELHI RAINS BRINGS THE CITY TO HALT". One heavy rain of the season and the city is paralysed with people stranded on the roads from 4pm since the rain started till late at night, as the vehicles were inching at 1km/hr with all the major arterial roads of the city jammed.

But what I want you to discuss is, this happens every year...every monsoon, yet the National Capital remains in its worst status. Sometimes, the government blames the RainGod for waterwoes that left Delhi dry and waterless, and sometimes for exposing the loopholes in the drainage system.

But what are Delhiites doing? Why Delhites FORGET after every rain?

Attached Files:

2. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

Dear Tanvi
    It is the woe of all the people....in all the big cities.
    There are so many reasons to it.
    If we forget the obvious non working of the municipal system, we will see that everywhere these cities are generally near some waterbody. All the settlers want a house , but when the area around these rivers etc. is taken up nobody cares, many of us buy these lands fot houses. But water needs drainage and with just one rain when the city is dep inwaterr we lament.
    Next we all want a car, and not use the public transport. With these many cars growing , no amount of land is sufficient.In australia , it is required that anyone who buys a car, has a place to park it.. if we do that in India........many of us will have to go without a car.
    And lesser we talk of our population , better it is. As it looks as if people just do not think before a child's birth , that where we will house them.
    They say...all who are born will eat their own share which is in their luck. But forget that if there is nothing what will be their share. The problems are glaring and growing.
    And not to forget our govt. which talks in terms of GDP...but what about consolidation of what we have gained...by providing facilities for the public. But the what to expect from a chappal and mike throwing parliamentarians.
    Here comes the crux of the whole problem
    WHO SENT THEM THERE?
    US!!!!!!!!!
    GREAT!!!!!!!!!
    So the whole gamut falls on us, as before casting a vote we seethe cast, religion, party, adn so many factors, but forget who will work for us.
    In our system a person who fights election, needs money for PR,
    why we as citizens do not get up and look out for good candidates , and canvass for them, so that others also get to know them.

WE have forgotten our duties.
    The day we will get up and do it, the whole system will too.

p.s.sorry dear I just went with the stream....but I feel strongly for our country which our freedom fighters have given their blood for, and our forces even today are fighting to keep united..without a thought for their own life .

3. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

I agree with Muzna to quite an extent but regarding the issue of who made those ministers...US!! I think this is a debatable topic. What good does any election in India hold. Even if we do not peep into caste and other issues, WHO is standing there to REALLY work for those voting for them. I feel they work just til they need a stand and once they have it, all they work for is themselves...and yes may be for the country justto an extent to keep their KURSI safe. I don't mean to say that all are like that but how do any of us believe and decide who is worth.

Our grandparents some of who are still alive and have gone through the agony of those Into the cage days...what must their hearts be going through to see such a transition. My nana has been a very well known freedom fighter and is still alive to narrate us those incidents and gets tears in his eyes when he accidentally happens to compare those Ministers with these. He is still active in politics in his area but what for?? Just the known to's coming up for requests for an approach or bribing for their grandchildren's future, studies etc.
    AT times I feel....all is turning hopeless !!!
    But yes...cumon Indians...do not behave like machines producing and raising kids...learn to live your life and give your kid a life worth living.

4. kk2009

kk2009 New IL'ite

Situation is bad everywhere... But I get really worried about Delhi because it will be hosting the commonwealth games next year. What will happen if it rains during that period? How will we tackle the traffic?

:hide:

5. ishanisharma

ishanisharma New IL'ite

Hmmm...my colleagues who come to Gurgaon from Delhi could reach home that day only past midnight. Just think about their ordeal, when the cab they were taking broke down. They had to get down :drowningand push it aside so that the traffic is not disrupted. Passerbys took pity on them and luckily a few noble Delhiites gave them lift and they could reach home. Such was the stress that my friends have decided never to think of returning home to Delhi if it rains after office hours. And I guess...their fears are justified.

By the way, which months will the Commonwealth Games be held? I hope it won't be during the monsoons. But Delhi is also known for its sudden winter showers. :coffee
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

What an irony! This post was posted on 31st July, 2009 by our dear friend and we Delhi-ites are haplessly stuck in the same situation even a YEAR LATER. Yes, friends the Commonwealth games have arrived and the ' World Class' city Delhi is in shackles after a few days of rain.

Yesterday,r the honorable minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad was feigning helplessness on the spread of the 'near-fatal' Dengue in the areas around the Commonwealth villages.

And today, the shadow of floods looms large over low-lying areas of Delhi as the Yamuna river continues to flow well above the danger mark of 204.88 metres.

Even today, it is raining heavily in most parts of the city. Delhiites got drenched while on way to schools and offices today as incessant rains lashed the Capital for the fifth consecutive day.

The showers began at around 7.45 am as office-goers and students started from their homes. This led to water-logging and traffic jams in some areas. However, even after
    the sky opened up, vehicular movement was slow in areas like ITO, Vikas Marg, Connaught Place and AIIMS.

But are we Delhiites not at fault to some extent - Yes, its us who forgive and forget the horrible experiences on Delhi roads after ever monsoon only to recall it the next year. See this post is an example of our short-term memory and yes also our 'CHALTA HAI' attitude.

Please share your views.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. amandeepkohli

amandeepkohli New IL'ite

Kudos Sanjana, you have so rightly brought up this issue a year later this monsoon....it is indeed an irony that the last post in this thread of 2009 and your post of 2010 are in continuity. :bonk

I say with utmost sadness and shame (to some extent taking the responsibility as a citizen, because it is WE who vote these so called 'janta ke sevaks'..err..MLAs & MPs to power) who do nothing constructive with the Taxpayers money.

GOD SAVE DELHI!!!

8. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

With the rain playing havoc in Delhi roads due to monsoon rains, thousands of people have chosen the alternate mode of transport - the Delhi Metro in the last one week, which they believe can be a safer option instead of getting stuck in traffic jams and waterlogged roads.

The ridership, which is around 11.5 lakh on an average week day, crossed 13.5 lakh on Wednesday, thus generating additional revenue for the already profit-making Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.

As the skies opened up early morning yesterday, people parked their two-wheelers and cars and opted for a Metro ride to reach their destinations on time without having to worry about water-logged roads and traffic jams. Though DMRC officials refused to divulge the total and additional revenue generated yesterday, it is understood that the organisation might have earned a minimum of Rs 30 lakh due to the rush yesterday.

The sudden spurt in the ridership is primarily attributed to the monsoon rains, which lashed the city continuously for six days, and the water-logged roads across the capital. Currently, over a hundred train sets are in operation on the five lines of Delhi Metro with a new train being added on the system every 10 to 15 days.

Delhi Metro trains are today traversing over 40,000km in a day making over 2,000 trips on the five operational lines covering 125km.

Meanwhile, the Chhattarpur station on the Gurgaon-Qutub Minar corridor which was non-operational for the past two months, opened today for public use. Trains on the corridor are stopping at the Chhattarpur station from 6 am this morning, the spokesman said.

The Metro built the Chhattarpur metro station fully in steel as it takes less time compared to the conventional construction in concrete. It had to resort to this unconventional construction technique to ensure that the corridor was opened to the public on time before the Commonwealth Games.

How are you coping with Delhi rains? Have you taken the Metro too?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Yes Sanjana, I too took the Metro last time to save myself from being stuck up in Delhi traffic jams. Really, its scary enough to give people nightmares. :spin

Although dug up roads has replaced the beggars on the streets of Delhi, the rains are ind venues have also served to be the breeding ground for 'stinging carrier' of Dengue, malaria and other deadly viruses. Now the latest news as of today (Sept 9, 2010)

10. ranisuresh

ranisuresh Senior IL'ite

Yesterday few of our office collegues got down at Huda City Centre, Gurgaon @ 09:15 hrs, from there our office is just 10 mins by rickshaw or auto, but it took almost 2hrs :bonkfor them to reach office due to traffic jam...

some of the lanes in express highway were blocked for common wealth games lane testing purpose....If this is the case on trail run day,.... I dont knw wht would happen to the traffic during the games...:spin:spin