Places to Visit in Assam

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by SoniaVerma, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gunjanasaikia25

gunjanasaikia25 New IL'ite

Visit Sibsagar - The Historical city of Assam

Located 369 kms from Guwahati, the historical city of Sibsagar was the capital of the mighty Ahoms (from whom the name Assam is derived), who ruled Assam for more than six hundred years before the advent of the British. The town, which literally means (Shiv -Sagar) 'the ocean of Lord Shiva', is strewn with the tell-tale ruins of a powerful empire.

The most remarkable landmark of the town is the 200 year old Sibsagar tank. On its banks are three significant temples - Shivadol, Vishnudol and Devidol. The Shivadol is believed to be the highest Siva Temple in India, having a height of 104 feet and the perimeter 195 feet.

There are several other places to visit in Sibsagar like the Ranghar, Kareng ghar, talatal ghar etc.

Besides being a fast developing urban settlement, modern Sibsagar is the headquarters of the district Sibsagar - a leading tea and oil producing centre.

Have you visited Sibsagar? Which is your favorite tourist spot?

Attached Files:

2. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

Yeah,Assam sort of kept beckoning me.Yes I did visit Kamakhya.I visited only Shillong(it was wonderful!)and Gauhati(it was like going back home after years!)I dont know how to attach pix here,infact am yet to learn how to navigate around here.Do let me know how to send pictures.I'd like to send some.
    Well,Guwahati seemed familiar,I remembered every road.I visited all our neighbors,Baba's office,Pan,Fancy,Polton Bazaar,Ulubari,Digholipukuri etc,etc(where my Mama had a massive house) .Ulubari(it was sold off by my Mama a few years ago) was interesting 'coz just when I introduced myself at the gate,they said I was lucky as they were about to demolish it to turn it into a hi-rise there.I've literally watched this house grow brick by brick.When I told my mamatho cousins,they too called me lucky 'n wept a lot.Guess we North-easterns are emotional people as they say here.We r ,so be it!
    Love,Delo

3. gunjanasaikia25

gunjanasaikia25 New IL'ite

Hi Delo,

Love to read your posts always. How lovely that you could go back to the land where you grew up? We'd love to see your photographs as well from Assam.

You can go through this link on Site-FAQs Hope this helps.

Are you planning to visit the rest of Assam sometime? Do let us know if you require information on any particular place. I'm sure someone can help you out.

Looking forward to your postcards from Assam...

Gunjana

4. anoushkapandit

anoushkapandit New IL'ite

Re: Visit Sibsagar - The Historical city of Assam

Thanks for the lovely piece of information. I didn't know that the highest Siva Temple in India is in Assam. :bowdown

Being an ardent Shiva Bhakt, I love visiting Shiva temples in various places in India. Until now, the famous Lingaraj Temple in Bhubaneshwar, Orissa was in my must-visit list; but after knowing about the Shivadol, I definitely pray for a darshan of the temple.

You know why I say 'pray for a darshan' because we believe, jab tak bhagwan aapko nehi bulate hai...aap waha ja nehi sakte. Do you also believe in the same way?

Moreover, Sibsagar from your little introduction seems to be a pretty interesting place to centuries old heritage to unfold.Please do let us know what are the places to visit in and around Sibsagar. Also, how to reach Sibsagar.

Thanks a lot,

Anoushka@Allahabad

5. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

I'm so excited I cud attach the pix for the first time.This is 'Kalpana Kutir',the house I grew up in Shillong.Its not showing if its uploaded.Keeping fingers crossed!
    Delo

Attached Files:

6. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

Dont know if this has gone as well.This is the house in Guwahati,which unfortunately is in shambles today.Made my heart very sad to see it like this!
    Delo

Attached Files:

7. MayuriBordoloi

MayuriBordoloi New IL'ite

Moromor Dalia,

How lovely to see your childhood memories caught in lens. Sad to know that your house is to be dismantled for giving space to another concrete tower. But that's the way it is now. Real Estate development is the new buzzword of the decade - a more moderate version of concrete jungle.

However in some cases, it does make sense; if the old structure is in real bad shape and the owners couldn't do much about it..... But still, home is a home. You have to say that you are really lucky to capture it in your lens (After how many years?)

It was really touching to hear about your Kongmai. God bless her soul!

I'm sure you must have visited the Kamakhya Temple? Please tell us about your experiences. I'm sure many of our IL friends would love to hear a first hand account... :)

Aaji loi emanei,

Morom loba,

Mayuri

8. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

Kamakhya was closed when I arrived(Ambuvachi week).I manageed a darshan through a 'peep hole'.It was raining cats 'n dogs too.Seemed nice after so so many years!Bought SHAKA POLA as well!
    Delo

9. NabanitaS

NabanitaS New IL'ite

Re: Visit Sibsagar - The Historical city of Assam

Dear Anoushka, we hope your devotion towards Lord Shiva will bring you here to Sibsagar. It is a beautiful place and also well connected by road and rails too . The town has good motorable road and vehicles are available on rental as well as public sharing basis. Here is a brief information on how to reach Sibsagar, for all would like to visit this HISTORIC CITY OF ASSAM.

How to reach Sibsagar?

Air - The nearest airport, Jorhat, is only 55 km away.One can take a fligt to Jorhat or Dibrugarh which takes 45 minutes from Jorhat and 2 and half hours from Dibrugarh.

Rail - The nearest railhead, Simaluguri, is 16 km away.

Road - Bus services are available from Guwahati and other important towns.

Shiva Dol (Dol means temple) , situated at the heart of the town, on the bank of the tank known as Sivasagar .Lakhs of devotees throng at this temple to offer their prayer during Sivaratri and during Shravan( falls in July and August) month. One can witness the biggest religious crowd in the three day long MahaShivaratri Mela..Interestingly the whole town is replete with such temples (though not not been able to make a place in the National devotional map).

The seven-foot high golden dome, situated at the topmost part or the apex of Shiva Dol, is called Koloxi and is made of pure gold. The numerous walls and pillars within the temple are sculptured with the figures and images of Hindu Gods and Goddess. This age-old creation of the Ahom Dynasty has become the center of attraction for travelers and tourists from all over the world.

Huhhhhh....there is so much to see in Sibsagar - historical monuments built by the mighty Ahom rulers, who ruled Assam for more than six hundred years before the advent of the British.

Bow

10. abhi321

abhi321 New IL'ite

I am from Assam and I have been living outside my state since last 10 years. I have travelled extensively but yes there is no place like Assam and North East India. It is so green, so beautiful and serene that you will fall in love with it. Don't forget to visit the Kaziranga park and see Brahmaputra river.