1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

High WBC count

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Amitha, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

I had taken DS2 for a 2 year physical check-up in June 2010 when the doctor prescribed that we do some blood work. I got that done in July 2010 when Akash was in good health. He did not have any cold or cough or fever. After a week of blood work, I took him to his paed for cold. She had not received any results from the lab yet, so after some tracing on why the reports had not been delivered to the paed, the lab finally faxed it to the doc.

Anyway the doc called me after a day and said that everything looked normal. Some lymphocytes were high in number, but that is okay given the fact that he is having cold.

After almost 3 weeks of blood test, Akash suddenly got fever on last Saturday night. He was very fine in the afternoon that day, except for a little cold. I gave him fever medications every 4 hours once till Sunday afternoon and the fever was not reducing. We took him to the ER and his fever was a 103 when we went in. Doctors didn't find any ear infection, chest congestion / infection, throat infection. So the doc ordered blood test, urine test. And in his blood test WBC was very high. She said the normal was a 11.5, but he had 18.5. Just to rule out TB & sorts, they did an x-ray too - the result was normal. They gave an anti-biotic injection & sent us home telling us to meet his paed next day.

His paed was not concerned about WBC count being high at all. DS2 had apparently no reason for WBC to go high, when his first blood work was done. Now the second blood test shows even higher WBC.

Has anybody had this experience. If so, what did the doc say and what did you do? Why does WBC go high when apparently there were no signs of infection. Please help me.

Note: At the ER, the blood report just mentioned, WBD and said it was 18.5
    The first blood report at the paed office shows the break-up of WBC and everything under that is high. And his CO2 levels are low in this report.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Amitha - the second WBC count is easily explained by the fact that he had fever and therefore an infection. So there's no real need to worry. About the first time why was blood work ordered in the first place? And esp something like CO2 is usually never done without cause - why did they do it? Did they take an arterial sample for the CO2? A venous sample is of minimal use. A mildly elevated WBC count like the first time doesnt mean anything really and is no cause for concern. Perhaps talking to your pedi would help clear all your doubts?

V.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Amitha,

I too have the same query why the paedtrician ordered a blood test the first checkup?
    Generally when I take my son for check ups, only routine ear, eye, motor skills are checked.

I hope your son has recovered from the fever and is normal now

4. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

V & Tamil,

In USA, once child turns 2 years, paeds do a physical exam with routine blood test, urine test to find out if everything is normal. More concern is given for finding out lead levels. I got it done for DS1 too when he was 2 years old. Now that DS1 is 5 years they have asked us to do cholesterol tests also. I guess this is done to all children with parental consent.

I do not have a copy of the 1st blood test. Otherwise I could have told you in detail, the results.

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Didnt know that. Here in Ireland, they only do a general checkup.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Amitha, hope Akash is feeling well now. Does your paed have any theory about this?