1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

is the veena difficult to learn?

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by andhragirl, Jul 25, 2010.

1. andhragirl

andhragirl New IL'ite

i really really want to learn how to play the veena. im 15 but i feel like im way too late. my mom learned for 10 years and is supposedly really amazing (but shes never taken out her veena and played for me :( ). but she said she would teach me finally! the veena looks really hard to learn, is it? im somewhat familiar with carnatic music because of my bharatanatyam dancing. so how long does it take to learn and maybe even be good? im going to be really dedicated, and my mom says she can teach me a couple times a week. is that enough? i live in the usa.

2. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I m zero in carnatic music but still i learning veena. Its easy only. Dont worry. It is enough to learn 2 times a week. so only for practice it will be easy.
    Also it is not too late. i m 24 and i learnt now.

3. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

if it is face to face learning then its not difficult to learn Veena . it might take about 4 months to learn
    the basics ( learning two hours a week and practicing one hour daily ) & about 16 months to reach at
    a performing level ...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. andhragirl

andhragirl New IL'ite

yea its face to face my mom is teaching me. she felt bad for never teaching me earlier so shes willing now :). i heard her play and shes really good. and thanks! yeah im going to be a lot of hard work into it

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Andhragirl

I have learnt veena for 7 years and started to learn when i was in my 6th std...yes they say that it is better to learn veen when the fingers are still tender but better late than never
    it is a lovely instrument and ofcourse really tough to learn...it requires a lot of homework to be done...

u ll forget the pain when u listen to the beautiful sound comin out from the wonderful instrument
    All the best dear

6. andhragirl

andhragirl New IL'ite

thanks swaran,
    i have played the viola for 6, so i think that might help. but yeah, the veena sounds so pretty!

7. Swarashakthi

Swarashakthi New IL'ite

This was cool to read about because I'm 15, having playing viola for 6 years and I started playing veena in 6th grade.

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Veena is actually very good for beginners...Well marked swara placements and forgiving.
    Its harder as u advance . Good luck!