1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons Learnt in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Harithag, Nov 23, 2009.

1. kokila19

kokila19 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    This is a very good thread so that we learn something from our mistakes..:)

2. anushakini

anushakini New IL'ite

This post reminded me of an incident which happened when I had almost zero experience of cooking or anything related to it.
    I had some fireproof tough plastic ladles for stirring, serving etc. One day I was planning to make a sabji in a non stick cookware and didnt know which type of ladle to use (I had steel but steel scratches the surface). Then I remembered these spoons. I knew that plastic melts in high heat, but since they specified fire proof and all I thought that I should give it a try. Lucky enough for me it worked without any problem. :thumbsup
    So next time I again thought of using it while making something else. This time I had to add some masalas in hot oil. So after sauteing an ingredient I forgot that spoon in the kadai and went to fetch other ingredients. by the time I returned with the masala the plastic had melted in the hot oil and the ladle had changed its shape.:thumbsdown
    Now I refrain from using plastic ladles for cooking.shakehead
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

This is indeed a very good thread for all the ladies involved in cooking.
    I enjoyed the stories particularly Deepa's story made me laugh though it teaches a lesson.
    Also for the member Blessed, the microwave story taught a good lesson and you should thank God, that the eggs hatch chickens. Just kidding...
    I also had same experiences of vessel catching fire when I left it alone to watch TV and this is a common mistake that we think of returning immediately to the kitchen while someone calls.
    One stupid problem with me is this. I purchase vegetables for a week when I see some fresh vegetables in the shop I am unable to control myself as sometimes I plan to buy only for a day or two but purchase for a week. This weekly purchases makes me waste a lot of vegetables and sometimes I dont check the vegetable tray in the fridge every day indepth and they become rotten sometimes. I have to throw them in the basket and my hubby yells if I do that. He keeps advicing not to waste and to check everything in the veg tray every second day. Once he took pictures of rotten vegetables in his cell phone and now he shows me that often reminding me to check the veg tray.
    One more tip:
    Some people keep cooked or uncooked portions of their meal in the fridge without covering the top of the vessel. The air circulating inside the refridgerator is a chemical gas and BEWARE it will pose health hazards in the long run. So always cover the vessels you keep in the fridge.

4. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Yet another problem encountered by most of us is that we switch off the plug points when we use a mixie or a grinder, but we dont switch off the switch in the particular appliance meant for that. The next time you dont notice the appliance switch is on and start working with your mixie or grinder, (switch on the plug point switch first) and lo, you can imagine what happens next.
    Lesson learnt : Always see that the switches in the electronic appliances are in off mode when not in use.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    every one seems to have had some experience in the kitchen. Well, we can never be too careful in the kitchen.
    I myself am not very organised always, though I would like to be that way. It just happens, I don't do it deliberately.
    I used to buy oil in plastic pouches. I opened one and after taking what is needed for deep frying, I kept the pouch on a shelf, resting between two containers. I had full confident that I had done the right thing and went about my work. Suddenly I heard a sound like a fountain inside the kitchen. I was confused and looked around. To my horror, the pouch had dislocated and the oil was flowing down the shelf, like a fountain. My God, I had a hard time cleaning up the mess. After this incident, I never leave a pouch of oil like that, I always empty it into the appropriate container.
    I try to be careful always so by God's grace I have been able to avoid major blunders.

6. pkkeerthi

pkkeerthi New IL'ite

keep a small towel in kitchen . hav a place fa it to hang cuz its easy 2 wipeoff t wet hands rather than wipin it in our dress which v r wearin.

hav a separte brush fa cleanin t gas stov , mixie n grinder cuz to avoid stains.

7. hareena

hareena New IL'ite

dear all

i had a nice experience on reading ur posts. once i was busy in the kitchen cutting onions. by that time i had a ph. call. so i went leaving the knife on the slab. suddenly i had a loud scream from my 1st son( 5 yrs) who was busy in doing hw. i ran over there and he showed his back crying. i saw a scratch on his back. i askd him wat happend. he told tat my 2nd kid (2yrs) scratched him with a knife. but he was not on the spot. he was hiding under:hide: the sofa. then i rememberd tat i have kept tha knife on the edge of the slab which the younger one could easily reach his hand over there. thank god for he does only a small scratch. from that onwards in whatever hurry burry i am i wont leave the sharp things down on the slab as kids donno what they r doing. we have to be careful.

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Ok, My list is big and at the risk of sounding silly :)

1. Kettle was boiling and the other side was a small plastic spoon. I put my hand over the boiling kettle to fetch the spoon. The hot steam burnt my hand and the scars are now a permanent one. Valuable lesson learnt!!!

2. Sometimes while grinding chutney or onions , when we need to add water - a little more water and when the chutney jar is full to the brim , grrr there it goes all over the place

3. Another lesson learnt: I had put potato fry vegetables and was standing near the stove top, when my son fell down and started crying. I ran there and picked him up, consoled him, came back to see my potato veg was burnt. Switch off the stove if need to rush for anything more urgent

4. Salt - I have done this more than once and have got shoutings from my DH on this one - If I lose concentration during cooking, either the salt is more or less.

9. sweetmommy

sweetmommy New IL'ite

I was newly married then and also very new to cooking.It was my third week in US and our friends were visiting us.So I had to cook dinner for them.I made sambhar,rasam,aloo curry,carrot pachdi,papad and then was about to keep rice in the pressure cooker.Friends came in by then and I told them..just 15 minutes Rice will be done..I was talking to that lady and i need to mention that she was just asking questions...lot of them actually..So I guess I concentrated on answering her than on the cooker..After 5 minutes We were smelling something burnt and guess what !!! I did not pour water for the rice to boil...Sucks..so much to clean in a new pressure cooker...I still can see some marks in my cooker after three years now..This would be the worst blunder for me in the kitchen..When it comes to cloth and fire and safety issues I try to be extra careful as those causes life threatening mishaps..

Anyways..the lesson learnt is Concentrate while you cook even if someone keeps on talking to you... :)

10. sricharani

sricharani Senior IL'ite

One thing I would like to say is if u have a baby/toddler never carry them with u when u are cooking. My mom advises me a lot not to do this. Even if we think we are very careful when we are carrying them sometimes it might happen beyond our control. Also we should be very careful and attentive in the kitchen when kids are around.

I know two of my relatives whose kids had burns and scars due to this.
    One of them had a 1 year old daughter, when she was boiling tea for 4 persons in the kitchen. The whole boiling tea somehow fell on the baby's body and she had very severe burns all over. She is now 5 years, and they have done 2 plastic surgeries so far to cure the scars..still the scars have not completely gone.

It's worth to remember that adults can bear the burns to some extent but kid's skins are very delicate and it is very difficult for them to go thru this pain and agony.It's worth the few extra minutes that we might get up early when we are having small kids around to save the tension of cooking when they are around.