Kerala preparations

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tsseethalakshmi, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Joth,
    I am now with my son at Seattle in USA.I have not taken any mooligai books with me.I am trying to get it.Adathodai is in malayalam ADALODAGAM.
    This juice will be included in cough medicine.
    tsseethalakshmi

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. nan24

nan24 New IL'ite

hello i would like to know whether the soaked rice for puttu flour should be completely drained and dried before making powder or can it be a little wet

3. joth

joth New IL'ite

Thank u madam.I just saw ur reply now only. By the way how r u & howz things with u.Hope u r enjoying the climate over there.

4. tsseethalakshmi

Dear Jothi,

The soaked rice should be drained completely and it can be little wet.Make the soaked wet rice into powder in the mixe sieve the flour in rava challadai and roast the wet powder in the kadai.When you can make kolam with your finger tips with the flour it is ready.

tsseethalakshmi

5. littlepal

littlepal New IL'ite

WOW THANKS A LOT .

@ tsseethalakshmi chechi thanks for ur wonderful kerela dishes .

i love unniyappam . but only now after reading ur recipe i know how to make it .

i love culinary . i will try ur recipe soon. can we add raisins (dry grape) too?

while i was given unniyappam , i saw white sugar sprinkled over base or top of unniyappam . its not in ur recipe?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. tsseethalakshmi

Dear little pal,

The unniyappam recipe given is in treditional recipe.
    The sprinking of sugar is for decoration.Traditional way it is not necessary.
    Decoration in presenting the preparation is once own will.
    If you wish raisins or any nuts can also be added with the batter.but it is not in treditional method.
    roasted gingili may also be added.
    yours,
    tsseethalakshmi

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. tsseethalakshmi

Dear little pal,

The unniyappam recipe given is in treditional recipe.
    The sprinking of sugar is for decoration.Traditional way it is not necessary.
    Decoration in presenting the preparation is once own will.
    If you wish raisins or any nuts can also be added with the batter.but it is not treditional method.
    roasted gingili may also be added.
    yours,
    tsseethalakshmi

8. littlepal

littlepal New IL'ite

thank you .

do you make malabar paratha yourself @ your home ?

i knew several type of recipes and method of making batter and rolling .

can you please tell me easy and traditional way of making pure kerala malabar parata ( batter and rolling ) also suggess me a good spicy veg gravy( malabar style) for this too.please take your own time and post your innovative invention for this .

i had a bad experience , last year @ hotel bhasuri inn , guruvayur i ordered malabar paratha and gravy for room service for dinner .but they delivered paratha and instead gravy , the chef delivered a dish very sweet with grated cocunut. really its pathetic for malabar paratha . that whole night i slept with angry and unsatiety . lol.

its not easy to convince that chef over phone , he justified that they have only that type of sweet gravy .

in my home sweetened cocounut gravy always suits for appam only.

now a days i buy frozen malabar paratha from sumeru brand from kerala which available in delhi .it also nice.

thanks for your fast reply chechi.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. tsseethalakshmi

Dear little pal,

Malabar paratha's main ingredient is Maida.After I change my food habit to natropathy I avoid all maida preparation.My children also settled their own home.
    Long ago I prepared paratha.My own version paratha is

Maida 1 cup
    water as reqyired
    sugar salt 1 tea spoon
    oil as required
    take flat vessal put maida, salt,sugar and add water little by little and make the dough by beating with your fist.how many more time you beat the dough the dough will be more soft.The dough should be more watery than chappathy batter.
    keep aside for half an hour coating oil on the dough and cover it with a cloth.
    after half an hour take the dough and beat some more time.
    take some dough and roll with your hand applying oil take some dough enough for one paratha.roll the paratha with your palm or chappathy roler.
    take it with your two hand one hand under and next hand from upper portion of the parath and beat it on the big steel plate so as to make it thinner and thinner,It will be corrected by experiance only.It can be maid by rolling it as thin as possible.
    take it and make round dough.with you palm make the dough as paraths.
    another method after thinning the paratha it may be folded as fan fold[vechiri madippu] and round and make paratha with your rolling pin.
    Keep aside two or three minute and fry it in hot thava springling oil.If you want you can use ghee or butter to increase the taste.

Salna is the best combination for paratha.

potato,califlawer,beans 2 cup cut in to small pieces
    onion 2 cup cut pieces
    tomato 2 no cut into pieces
    green chilli 2 split them
    coconut grated half cup
    ginger garlic paste 1 table spoon
    chilli powder 1 tsp
    coriander powder 1 tbs
    chshew 10
    cuscus 1 tbs
    green coriander leaves half cup
    garam masala 1 tsp
    turmaric half tsp
    salt
    oil,ghee

Put the green coriander,coconut,cuscus,cashew,in the mixe grind it as smooth paste.
    Take a kadai pore oil one table spoon ghee when hot add ginger garlic paste satue.Add the grind masala and satue.When oil come out from the masala add the chilli powder,garam masala,coriander powder,garam masala, satue.add onion, tomato,splitted green chillies and satue.When the tomato turned soft add the cut vegitables,turmaric powder and satue.Add required water.Bring to boil when the vegitables became soft add salt and boil two to three minutes.Springle green coriander leaves enjoy with paratha.

variation:you can add boiled soft green gram dhal
    It will thiken the gravy and add taste also.

10. littlepal

littlepal New IL'ite

thank you . god bless you for recipe.