1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Books I enjoyed the most...

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by manjula, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi

i must say books are my best friends after all of you ladies of course.

here a few books i devour

la bicyclette bleu....regine deforges
    la chambre des dames....jeanne bourin
    the island of doctor moreau h.g.wells
    chromosome 6...robin cook

and right now i am reading break no bones by kathy reichs

bye

2. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    I've enjoyed reading "Gone with the Wind" many years ago.
    Also "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran.
    And "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" by Arthur Conan Doyle.
    Not to mention "Short Stories by Somerset Maugham" - really excellent stories! Classic!

best,
    Hasita

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

I enjoyed these

Gone with the wind-many years ago
    The monk who sold his ferrari-recent
    God of small things-some time ago
    Sister of my heart-couple of years back
    Coma-The movie is good too.
    Kane and Abel-very good book

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Books, i love them. give me a book any time. there used to be times when i used to read as i cook. (Now had to stop as i was setting a bad example for my kids. my son started reading while walking on the road!!!:icon_frown:)

I read from light mills and boons romance to serious books like ayn rand.

the list well can i do justice....

Stephen covey-all his books.- 7 habits....., read 8th habit recently.
    hugh prather - love all his quotes-favorite being Just when i think i have learnt the way to live, life changes.
    ruskin bond - had a novel -english literaturecalled room on the roof for my icse board exams. got hooked then.
    rk narayan - recently read his malgudi days again. could not resist.
    Autobiograbhy of a yogi - got hooked to this book in the 80's.
    The mind of maharishi ramanar - recently read this book written by Arthur Osborne
    Dale carneige - most of his books.
    Daniele steel - Daddy, family, ring, promise............
    Anne mather, nora roberts--- romance
    Dan brown -Da vince code, Deception point, Angels and demons
    Lawrence sanders- The tangent, the first,second,third deadly sins....
    Robin cook- the brain, coma, fever,outbreak,Vector.... waiting for critical.
    sidney, harold were like bibles during college days.
    Well have to stop .. :goodidea:

love
    shanthi

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

These are a few of my favorite reads:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    The Prohet by Khalil Gibran
    Pulling your own string by Dr Wayne Dyer
    Do'nt sweat the small stuff by Richard Carlson

1 person likes this.
  6. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Love to read - some of my favorites are already listed by other Ilites - so will not repeat. Some of my recommendations:

Reading Lolita in Teharan - Azar Nafisi - sort of a memoir of life in Teharan of women. If you like non-fiction and biography, you will like it.
    Maeve Binchy - she is an Irish author. I have all her novels - she is a wonderful story teller - some of my favorites are "Circle of Friends", which was made into a movie with Minnie Driver and Chris O'Donnell, Tara Road.
    David Baldacci - Absolute Power

Enjoy reading..:2thumbsup:

7. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

If anyone is in the mood for non fiction I would highly recommend :

Mountains beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.

This is sort of biography of Dr. Paul Farmer a true hero who proved one man CAN make a difference in the world. A true living legend...

The below is the book review that I just lifted off of amazon. I did read the book and it truely is inspirational

Tracy Kidder's brilliant biography of Dr. Paul Farmer is at once disturbing and exhilarating: disturbing, as it points out all the inequalities in living conditions and health care between the rich and the poor and the staggering statistics about disease and the lack of available medical aid in many parts of the world, and exhilarating to read the selfless commitment of one man to change these situations. Not only is the information in this inordinately readable book fascinating but also the superb writing style of Pulitzer Prize winning author Tracy Kidder is some of the best to be published in recent years.

Kidder concerns his book with one Paul Farmer, a poor lad who grew up nearly homeless (unless one calls living on a riverboat a home) in Alabama, a gifted thinker who climbed out of his beginnings to discover the inequities in the big world, went to medical school at Harvard, and then proceeded to commit his life to changing the pitiful poverty and disease-ridded Haiti, establishing not only viable medical centers but also spreading his warm personality into the hinterlands of that little country making day-long walking housecalls for the poor families who as human beings deserve as fine a quality of medicine as those who live near the wealthy comforts of the major city medical centers.

How Kidder accompanied and observed Farmer as he sought funding and supplies and training not only in Haiti, where the diseases of tuberculosis and AIDS were decimating the population while the world just silently watched, but also extending his beneficence to Peru and to the prisons of Russia, attack tuberculosis and AIDS with the same ardor is the basis of this book. Farmer's accomplishments created the Partners in Health organization that in turn stimulated the World Health Organization to wake up to the disasters that reign in the third world countries, eventually supplying the much needed medicines, cash, buildings and personnel to begin to make a change in the world health care.

Kidder's gift as a writer lies not only in his detailed and well researched biography of a modern saint, but also in his ability to allow us to get to know the very human creature named Paul Farmer. He touches on his personal life, his struggles with his own diseases (he nearly died from hepatitis), and his indomitable spirit in facing a bureaucratic conundrum that prevented the poor of the world from receiving care. It is a touching story, it is a superlative investigation into one man's spirit and selfless commitment, and it is a book that demands our attention on many levels. Tracy Kidder's sharing of Dr. Paul Farmer's life is a poignant reminder that the individual CAN make a difference: it is a matter or devotion to an ideal that can become a reality despite obstructions the world places in the path. Highly Recommended.

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I recently read Future of Competetion. It talks at length about how companies can differentaite themselves in the current era and in future and what becomes the singlemost important factor for value addition.
    If you like reading business or management books, this one is a great read. The author CK Prahlad is a prof at Harvard and he has loaded the book with umpteen examples.

9. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi everybody
    I am new to IL. I am an avid reader of fictions mostly.
    The most liked books in my list r - Ice station zebra Alister maclean
    The Day of Jackal
    Atlas srugged & Fontainhead by ayn rand.
    Doctors -Eric segal
    All books of Robin cook
    Harry potter series r some of my favorate.
    Any one want ot discuss ?

10. rama rathnam

rama rathnam New IL'ite

Hi everybody,

This is my very first post and am starting with my favourite pastime. Talking about books gives me the same amount of pleasure as reading them. My all time favourtes are:

Mahabharatha by Rajaji
    Lectures on Ramayana by Rt. Hon. Srinivasa Shasri(a treasure)
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
    Thornbirds by coleen mcCullough( the serial was as good as the book)
    Ladies of massaloungi by the same author(pure delight)
    Autobiography of a Yogi By Parahamsa Yogananda( a master piece)
    Five point someone by Chetan Bhagat
    God of small things
    Q&A forgot the name of the author(made adelightful reading. felt like watching a hindi movie) Style was very unique
    Jeffrey Archer's three books on short stories. A quiver full of arrows, Twelve red Herrings and a twist in the tale. (too good)

These are a few of my favourite books. If anybody is interested Esnips.com is the best site to download books of all languages and music too.

Bye!

Rama