1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My friend SS

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by BeeAmma, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

SS was a dear friend of mine and one of my project partners in college. She was from a small village on the outside of the city. Her father was a shopkeeper with 3 daughters. There had the basics in terms of food, clothing and shelter and a bit more. Not a life of luxury by any means. She was short,brown and squint eyed which made her the butt of cruel jokes made by insensitive college boys. She spoke grammatically incorrect English with a heavy vernacular accent which did not help the cause.

What made SS so extraordinary is her perseverance and strength of character. She had a steady vision of where she wanted to go and would not let temporary setbacks derail this long term vision.

She would wake up early and take a bus and a shared rickshaw from her village to come to the city to attend college and the same on the way back home. Come rain or shine she would attend all the classes when the rest of us will bunk and goof off in the canteen. She had figured out some institution founded by her community elders that would loan textbooks each semester. There are times she would break down and cry when guys would make fun of her accent or looks but that seemed to firm her resolve even more to do well. She would relentlessly pursue or pester (depends on your perspective) professors to clarify her doubts. She started out with second class grades and figured out better methods to approach exams and eventually scored first class. There are 2 times that I noticed her take longer than usual (understandably) to bounce back. One was when she lost her father and the other when she did not get a job through campus.

I lost touch with her after coming to the US until a few years later when she located me on the Internet. She had just returned from Italy she said. Her company was sending her around the world on assignments. She enjoyed international travel but loved coming back home to her mothers cooking. She was looking to getting married and would keep in touch.

Happy journey my friend. May the universe shower you with more success and happiness.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010

2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear bee,

lovely writing about your friend. One cannot be assesed with their outlook. hatsoff to your friends success in life.

ganges

3. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

It is very nice of you to take time and write about your friend. Wishing her all the best in her life.

Anabika

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Thanks Ganges and Anabika for the feedback. SS is an everyday heroine.

5. ashwiniks79

ashwiniks79 Bronze IL'ite

You found time to write about your friend, and after a lot of searching you found her, thats very nice. Looks dont matter for being successful is proved here again....:thumbsup

6. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

BeeAmma,Lovely writing!We can feel your goodwill towards your friend.

It is sad that some people choose to pass cruel jokes and bully others so easily.Your friend is another example of where there is a will there is a way.

May god bless your friend and I wish her all success in future.:thumbsup

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi BA,

Welcome back after a long time !:)

I am SO happy for your friend.I can understand your feelings.it makes us feel so happy,no? when a deserving person gets his due.makes us feel that all is good and just in HIS world, after all.:)

8. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear BA

Its so nice of you to share with us journey of your friend.

She might be feeling very proud of herself gained something worth, whereas many of your those unsensitive friends might not have achieved.

9. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Dear Bee...
    Lovely post on your friend... so she has proved that looks can be deceptive... good to know that she has been able to overcome this barrier and pave way for herself ... wishing her all the best in her life ahead.. definately she will find a wonderful man like herself and they will live happily...
    K

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear BeeAmma,

what a heartwarming real story of yr friend.Though not good looking, she had the perseverance, and a determined self beleive to go ahead in life, fighting odds all the way.

Well written, with a lot of sensivity.Your English is very good and fluent, and u have done great justice to yr friend SS.

God bless her, to succeed at the hightest levels.

Great write.

Regards

kamal