AFP test results in one day....??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by prathima09, Feb 17, 2010.

1. prathima09

prathima09 New IL'ite

Dear All,

I would like to get clarified small doubt regarding serum AFP test, which i am thinking since two days..:spin

I am right now 18 weeks 3 days pregnant and my Dr. has suggested me AFP test and told result will take 1 week to be obtained, but as i went to diagnostic center they said it takes just one day and there is no test which takes 1 week and gave me results as 70.35 IU/ml. I have my next appointment with Dr.after 2 weeks, so can you please suggest are these results reliable..:hide: if you have any idea upon this issue.

regards
    Prathima

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

AFP is for genetic disorders just like NT but for the scan. It is usually said that it takes a week to get the results. if I were you, I would go by what the doctor tells me than the diagnostic lab.

3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

preethi
    is this scan done for everyone?
    in which month is it usually recommended?

4. papa07

papa07 New IL'ite

lavii,
    AFP test is an optional test nothing but blood test.
    i am 18weeks pregnant women.
    Even i had the test 2days back.

5. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

doc made me do blood test during last visit and she has writted something like ANP but ya like you said was normal blood test+hiv test+urine test and she said eveyrthing is normal

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

No lavii.. It is optional. Not all doctors ask every one to do it. It is the NT first. Not all insurance cover the AFP. Sometimes they dont cover the ERA ( NT scan ) even. But, if they do cover both, mostly doctors are ok with people doing ERA. AFP is just a detailed test on Down's and Trisomy is what I was told by my nurse initially. The percentage of this is like more than the ERA that is NT and blood work.. Let us say, ERA is 70% then AFP is 90% types..

But when asked my nurse, which one I need.. She simply said, ERA..

It is checking of a protein secreted by the fetal liver present in the mom's blood.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  7. prathima09

prathima09 New IL'ite

Thank you all for your immediate responses. I have visited my doctor yesterday and as per her, if the diagnostic center is well equipped test takes only 2days :cool2:.

Now tension free..:)

regards