1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

List of books for children....

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Shanvy, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

TM thank you. a recommendation from you becomes a must read.

a request already placed with my librarian.

chitradevi,

i did not find the tell me why really great. it is just a compilation of a what is available on the net. I did buy the first few months and now stopped for the very same reason.
    the recent trend is that they do blatantly say compiled using the internet.

knowledge books, the bhavans journal is good to an extent if you are looking at children picking up nuances to write essays/articles. the very old respected wisdom book that still comes at rs.10 a month cannot be compared with anything. it reflects wisdom.

there are lots of knowledge oriented books. let me check out the names and come back. but it depends on what your child is interested too.

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanthi & other moms:

This is a good thread to refer to while selecting books for my children.

Right now, both my kids love to read the Mystery series by Enid Blyton. They also have read quite a few books in the Great Illustrated Classic series(hardbound) - like King Arthur, Moby Dick, Treasure Island, Black beauty, Alice in Wonderland...

My daughter (and myself included) loved Anne of green gable by L M Montgomery. There are 5-6 books in this series.

Son was great fan of the Series of Unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket until last year.

There is one English writer whose books for children I admire - Michael Morpurgo.

And then from my childhood days, I remember particularly Little Lord Fauntleroy by F H Burnett. I believe The Secret garden is equally good.

Will come back with more:)

Sindhu

3. Sandhya ganesh

Sandhya ganesh New IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,
    Thanks for the 'list of books for children'. Can u pls suggest me few books for my two year old daughter.

Thank u
    sandhya

4. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

The list of books for my children

Magic Pot (bi monthly)
    Tell Me why (from the house of malayala manorama)
    Thirukural book with meaning
    Big picture dictionary
    General knowledge book

5. baharathi

baharathi New IL'ite

Hi all, thanks for the wonderful lists of books. i am very fond of reading books, my kids also. this is a fine thread which is very very useful for the parents. INDUSLADIES ROCKS. :thumbsup

Luv you all,
    Bharathi..

6. citralekha

citralekha New IL'ite

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi all:

Found an excellent book on sex education for young children called 'It's so amazing' A book about eggs, sperm, birth, babies and families by Robie H. Harris Illustrated by Michael Emberley. This book is published by Candlewick Press.

I also found The Red Book(for 10-14 year olds) and the Blue book (for 15 & above) on sexuality education. There is also a Yellow book for parents. These books are brought out by NGO TARSHI.

Sindhu

8. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

hi friends
    I am happy to see this thread, as parents we must inculcate reading habit in our children from their budding stage. Reading is like an asset, children will have the imagination, expression once they start reading. As a teacher, I can make out a child (who has reading habit) when it comes to writing skills. You believe it /not, I started reading for my kid when she was 2 years 2 months old, I used to read magic pot for her with sound and expression.( I love reading, that might be another reason)
    she was enjoying, i started collecting books,since my friends know about me very well, they used to bring books as gifts for her instead of our usual toys.
    Collections:
    1.picture story books (ramayana, maha bharatha)
    2.moral stories
    3.aesop's fables
    4.folk tales
    5.lady bird series (goldilocks and the three bears, the elves and the shoe maker,ugly duckling)
    I had many more books in my collection.Due to luggage problem, i couldnot bring, one great relaxation is the school library wherein we could get age appropriate books.
    Apart from this, we get magicpot and gokulam.
    Though my little one is in class 1, she 's able to read as she has been exposed to reading much early.
    We must find time and devote for our kids as this is a great investment for the children than other material wealth,
    Vidyavisu.:)

9. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Sorry, forgot to include publications from CBT (Children's book trust of India) books are also good.
    Vidyavisu

10. ahilakaran

ahilakaran Silver IL'ite

Gud thread for moms like me.... Thanks for this thread.... I come to know many books....

My DD is 4.5 yrs old.. I used to read a lot for her mostly during bedtime.... Her list of books are :

Pepper
    Zigby
    Noddy Tales
    Magic Tree House
    Arabian Nights (she didnt like it since she couldn't understand those pirate stuffs and fights)
    Grandma's Tales