Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Re: some information about singapore

Hi,

I brought some of them from India like cooker, kadai, patilas,chakla, etc... Also this time when my inlaws are coming to visit I have told them stuff to bring along.:thumbsup

Definitely the stuff here in singapore is expensive as compared to India. So bring along the important items.

2. angayarkanni

angayarkanni New IL'ite

looking for a house

hello friends,
    v stay in choa chu kang. now, our house owner is going to sell the house. So v r looking for a house. V r 4 people (husband,wife and 2 kids - 6 years old boy and 10 months old girl). can anybody help us ?
    preferred areas : cck, bukit batok, bukit gombak,jurong west, jurong east
    can pay - $800 - $1100. ready for sharing also.

thanks in advance.

3. veenashanthi

veenashanthi New IL'ite

moving to singapore

Hello Ladies,

I will be moving to Singapore from US for a period of 1 yr. I need some tips.
    1. How s west coast plaza apartments?
    2. Mixer or grinder available at Indian stores? If so, how much does it cost?
    3. I have a 6month old son. I would like to know the kind of baby foods and diapers available.

Ur input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank u
    Shanthi

4. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Re: moving to singapore

Hi
    The answers to your queries have already been discussed in the existing thread: house hunting and other settling tips for new residents. Kindly use the "search" function before starting new threads. Post your questions in that thread .

This thread will be merged with the appropriate thread in a day's time.

5. nithy07

nithy07 New IL'ite

master room for rent in bedok south south indian family

Hi ,

Master Bed room (Nicely renovated) available in Bedok south Road, 10 mins walk to TanahMerah MRT
    Bus top near to Blk: bus no 38, 12, 229, 506.

1. Fully Furnished with Aircon, Bed , Fan, and Wardrobe
    2. No Agent fee , only one month Advance rent + Current month rent
    3. Monthly rent 550 PM (including utilities)
    4. Wireless Broadband access available.
    5. Preferable for working women.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  6. veenashanthi

veenashanthi New IL'ite

Re: moving to singapore

I am sorry. I am not able to find appropriate answers in the forum. So plz could you help me... URGENT!!

7. sndeepti

sndeepti New IL'ite

Moving to Singapore

Hi Guys,

I'm Deepti and I need some info and tips on SG... Ok let me start..Me and my Hubby are planning to relocate to SG from Dubai as my hubby is planning to take an internal transfer to SG (he is in love with SG, though i don't know why) frm his current company... We are a family of 2 with 2 dogs...My q is very basic how is life in SG esp with 2 dogs?? I have read certain post on IL relating to cost of living but they r quite old dated..Firstly, since we have dogs, living in an apts/condo is ruled out.. We wud prefer to stay in a house with garden not necessarily in the heart of the city travelling 30-35min is OK, will i get a decent 2/3 bed room house for 3000SGD?? tht's the max we want to pay on house rent, Secondly, I know tht transport is quite cheap but again cos of Dogs we want to have a car ( in case of any emergency) how expensive is it to have a car?? or is it managable without a car i.e do cab's allow dogs without putting them in kennels or are their any pet ambulance service or vet's visitng the pet at ??home kind of thing and finally is SG dog friendly,we love our dogs and r the center of our world and want the best for them, Dubai is not dog friendly i.e we r not allowed to take them to beaches or parks... It will be of great help if you cud ans my q's esp house rent and any dog owners thr pls give me all info on a dogs life in SG cost of vet bills, pet insurance etc etc..Thanks in advance ..Cheers and Happy 2010 to all...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Re: Moving to Singapore

hi deepti

i was living in SG for 2 years.

First let me tell you Singapore is an advanced country.

There are lot of people who have pets, (infact there is a joke that singaporeans dont have kids, but cats and dogs).

So dont worry about proper vet, or hospital for your dogs.

In condos pets are allowed in singapore. Also in beaches and park. so you can relax and walk your pets to beaches alongwith you.

Regarding independent house for SGD 3000/- i think you will be able to get that.

About pet insurance, i am not able to help you.

Sgpr govt discourage to buy car, so they impose heavy tax and buying car is costly there. i think around 30000 sgd and up. Also you have some waiting time to buy a car after you book.

Cab drivers do allow i think to take pet in cab.

hope my info is of some help to you.

P.S: even i love SGpr very much.

9. manjiri

manjiri New IL'ite

Rent for HDB in KOVAN near DPS international school

Dear all ,just moved to Singapore .

How much is the rent for HDB - 3 BR IN KOVAN area near DPS international?

reagards

manjiri

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Queries on moving to Singapore

Hi Friends,

I am my husband are thinking to relocate to singapore and settle there for a few years,say 5 years. We are currently in US.And we are contemplating between India and Singapore. The main reason for our relocation is since our families do not have anyone in india. so we thought best is to be at reachable distance.
    Coming to my questions
    1. will it it be possible to find jobs (IT) there from USa or india?
    2.does anyone have an india how life is in Sing compared to Cities in USA(we are in new york now).
    3. can dependents(spouse) get a work permit in singapore.this is a difficult process in USA. that is why i want to know this too.

thank you in advance.please help me with any kind of pointers that you might have. it eill be useful for us to decide if we are moving to india/sing or any other country.

Neha S

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010